I don’t normally buy figs because they tend to be very expensive. However I walked into my local Morrison’s the other night and found a pack of four figs for 25p on offer. I had no idea what to do with them so I made a seasonal salad. You can adjust the spice in the recipe to your taste. Me? I like it reasonably hot!
4 large sweet potatoes
4 large figs
1 red chilli
250 ml balsamic vinegar
4 spring onions
2 teaspoons of caster sugar
2 teaspoons of oil of choice. (I use rapeseed.)
1) Get the oven on full whack.
2) Chop the sweet potatoes into wedges and place in a baking tray. Do the same with the figs.
3) Drizzle your oil over the tray mixture and add salt and pepper to season. Place into the oven for 30 minutes.
4) In the meantime stir fry a chopped red chilli and spring onions for a couple of minutes and leave to cool.
5) Now we need to make a balsamic reduction for the dressing. Pour the balsamic vinegar in a small pan and heat until it boils.
6) Add the caster sugar, stir well and leave to cool. the dressing should thicken to a syrup whilst cooling.
7) Remove the sweet potatoes and figs from the oven and mix in with the spring onions and chilli.
8) Serve drizzled with the sweet balsamic reduction.
This could be great as a side dish or even a full main course salad.