We’ve been living in South Wales for a year now. The culinary options in the valleys aren’t exactly amazing. It’s one of the only things I miss about London really. I used to have sushi on a regular basis because I’ve always been rubbish at making it. What’s not to love about sushi? Crisp nori, salty rice and a crunch in the middle topped off with some soy sauce, ginger or wasabi. I came up with this dish to satisfy my sushi craving.
Half a pomegranate (Seeds only)
A large handful of kale
2 servings of sushi rice or normal white rice
A dash of mirin
A dash of soy sauce
A sheet of shredded nori
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions. Drain and season with pepper, mirin and soy sauce.
- Stir fry the kale in a hot pan for about a minute and then mix in with warm rice.
- Plate up rice and kale mixture, then top with chopped avocado, nori and pomegranate.
- Eat warm straight away or cold later on.
- Eat with chop sticks if possible. 😉
Not only is this dish really delicious, it’s full of folate, good fats, vitamin C, iron, iodine and protein. It’s perfect for your post-workout recovery meal, especially with a hydrating green tea.