Oats are amazing! They are great for the bacteria in your gut, give you loads of energy, keep you full up and are loaded with fiber. Being vegan I don’t really need to worry about fiber because everything I eat has it in, but you can always do with more right?
Mykey and I live a very hectic lifestyle. We are guardians to five cats and one very lively American Bulldog called Bailey. We also work full time and train twice a day everyday at the gym. A little while ago I decided we needed to cut down on the amount of time we spent getting ready in the morning for work, so I came up with this great time saving idea that gives porridge an extra health boost and tastes great.
I make up a jar full of super foods that I then sprinkle on top. Before I used to spend and extra twenty minutes in the morning making sure our breakfasts were as packed with nutrients as possible. Now I stick my spoon in my jar and throw it on top of my bowl of oats, before smothering in soya milk and sometimes heating in the microwave.
The jar lasts about a month if two of you are eating porridge everyday for 5 out of 7 days a week. I also like to put different things in it each month, but this month I’ve gone with flaked almonds, pecan nuts, pumpkin seeds, dried goji berries, shredded coconut, walnuts, milled flaxseed, chia seeds and if I put anything else in there, I can’t remember!
People often ask me what I eat for breakfast. I have a standard 14 things that I rotate on a regular basis, but I’ve also included some extra not as healthy, possibly treat meals as well. Vegan breakfasts are some of my favourite recipes because they are so healthy and you can have lots of good carbohydrates because you will burn them off throughout the day. All of my healthy breakfast ideas are under 400 calories. The unhealthy ideas…..well I don’t even want to think about it. That’s why they are occasional treats and not everyday meals.
Healthy, low calorie, low fat, high nutrition.
- Mixed fruit with plain yoghurt and milled flaxseed. (Mix it up. I like oranges, apples and bananas, but occasionally I’ll use mangos, kiwis and dried apricots.
- Fruit smoothie. (Bananas and raspberries are good here mixed with water or oat milk.)
- Green smoothie. (Lots of spinach, banana, blueberries, barley grass powder, Spirulina with water or almond milk.)
- Peanut butter on wholegrain toast. (100% peanut, peanut butter. Be careful because lots of brands contain extra oil, sugar, salt and fat.)
- Scrambled tofu. (My recipes goes as follows: a whole block of tofu, mushrooms, onions, garlic, spinach, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, black pepper, black salt (if you can get it.) and turmeric. Peas, sweetcorn and grated carrot are also good additions.)
- Porridge with mixed nuts and flax, covered in rice milk.
- Avocado and tomato on wholegrain toast.
- Protein pancakes (Wholemeal flour, soya milk, scoop of vegan protein powder. Whisk and place in a pan at a high heat. Serve with almond butter, apple chunks and raisins)
- Apple and oat bake. (oats, chopped apple, molasses, nuts, seeds, not from concentrate apple juice, mix together and bake.)
- Mushrooms sauted with spinach with a grilled tomato and half a can of no added sugar and salt baked beans. (Or you could make your own.)
- Breakfast burrito! (scrambled tofu with added beans, herbs and spices in a wholemeal tortilla.)
- Wholemeal bagel with homemade butterbean pate. (Cooked butterbeans, garlic, parsley and a dash of hemp oil blended into a paste.)
- Two bananas smooshed up with two teaspoons of cashew nut butter.
Now the not so healthy, but utterly delicious breakfast ideas.
- Crumpets with strawberry jam. (To try and be good, you could go for the made with 100% fruit jam and not use vegan butter….but then is it still a treat?)
- Full vegan breakfast: wholemeal toast with vegan butter, potato cakes, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, scrambled tofu, vegan sausages, vegan bacon, hasbrowns and bubble and squeak. (No I couldn’t find the exact picture anywhere so the below image is just generic!)
- Vegan sausage sandwich with mustard and ketchup.
- Large vegetable samosa.
- A big tub of vegan fruit yoghurt.
- Vegan cheese on toast
- Breakfast muffin (Think fast food breakfast. Vegan cheese, vegan burger patty, possibly vegan bacon.)
- Reuben. (vegan meat slices, saukraut, mayo etc. It’s an American dish and I love it!)