People often ask me what I eat for breakfast. I have a standard 14 things that I rotate on a regular basis, but I’ve also included some extra not as healthy, possibly treat meals as well. Vegan breakfasts are some of my favourite recipes because they are so healthy and you can have lots of good carbohydrates because you will burn them off throughout the day. All of my healthy breakfast ideas are under 400 calories. The unhealthy ideas…..well I don’t even want to think about it. That’s why they are occasional treats and not everyday meals.
Healthy, low calorie, low fat, high nutrition.
- Mixed fruit with plain yoghurt and milled flaxseed. (Mix it up. I like oranges, apples and bananas, but occasionally I’ll use mangos, kiwis and dried apricots.
- Fruit smoothie. (Bananas and raspberries are good here mixed with water or oat milk.)
- Green smoothie. (Lots of spinach, banana, blueberries, barley grass powder, Spirulina with water or almond milk.)
- Peanut butter on wholegrain toast. (100% peanut, peanut butter. Be careful because lots of brands contain extra oil, sugar, salt and fat.)
- Scrambled tofu. (My recipes goes as follows: a whole block of tofu, mushrooms, onions, garlic, spinach, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, black pepper, black salt (if you can get it.) and turmeric. Peas, sweetcorn and grated carrot are also good additions.)
- No egg omelette ( Recipe to be found http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2012/06/17/vegan-cheese-omelette/ …..I do mine without cheese and often stuff it with mushrooms and spinach.)
- Porridge with mixed nuts and flax, covered in rice milk.
- Avocado and tomato on wholegrain toast.
- Protein pancakes (Wholemeal flour, soya milk, scoop of vegan protein powder. Whisk and place in a pan at a high heat. Serve with almond butter, apple chunks and raisins)
- Apple and oat bake. (oats, chopped apple, molasses, nuts, seeds, not from concentrate apple juice, mix together and bake.)
- Mushrooms sauted with spinach with a grilled tomato and half a can of no added sugar and salt baked beans. (Or you could make your own.)
- Breakfast burrito! (scrambled tofu with added beans, herbs and spices in a wholemeal tortilla.)
- Wholemeal bagel with homemade butterbean pate. (Cooked butterbeans, garlic, parsley and a dash of hemp oil blended into a paste.)
- Two bananas smooshed up with two teaspoons of cashew nut butter.
Now the not so healthy, but utterly delicious breakfast ideas.
- Crumpets with strawberry jam. (To try and be good, you could go for the made with 100% fruit jam and not use vegan butter….but then is it still a treat?)
- Full vegan breakfast: wholemeal toast with vegan butter, potato cakes, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, scrambled tofu, vegan sausages, vegan bacon, hasbrowns and bubble and squeak. (No I couldn’t find the exact picture anywhere so the below image is just generic!)
- Vegan sausage sandwich with mustard and ketchup.
- Large vegetable samosa.
- Vegan French toast. (http://www.holycowvegan.net/2010/09/eggless-french-toast.html)
- A big tub of vegan fruit yoghurt.
- Vegan cheese on toast
- Breakfast muffin (Think fast food breakfast. Vegan cheese, vegan burger patty, possibly vegan bacon.)
- Reuben. (vegan meat slices, saukraut, mayo etc. It’s an American dish and I love it!)