I’m a big fan of jack fruit and this recipe is perfect for it. A burrito needs to be flavoursome and filling. Jack fruit takes on any flavour you give it but like tofu, doesn’t taste of anything on it’s own. Let’s pack in the herbs and spices!
- 1 tsp dried chilli
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp cumin
Make up your spice mix and place to one side.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 100 grams of cooked brown rice (cook this yourself first if needs be.)
- 1 avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- Half a tsp of dried chilli
- BBQ sauce
- 1 tin of jack fruit in salted water. (Do not get the one in syrup.)
- Pack of wholemeal tortillas
- Dry fry the onion and peppers until they start to soften.
- Add the sweetcorn and brown rice to the pan and mix in.
- Turn heat to low and stir every couple of minutes.
Now it’s time for the jack fruit. I warn you if you haven’t used it before, it’s some weird stuff. Drain the can in a sieve. It should look like this:
- Pull it apart into shreds and add to the pan. (This can take some time if you haven’t done it before.)
- Add your spice bowl and mix in.
- Keep the heat on low, stirring occasionally.
- Now let’s make some awesome mashed avocado! Peel the avocado and mash with the chilli, lime and salt to taste.
- Heat yourself a tortilla in the microwave or in the oven.
- Mash some avocado onto your warm tortilla then place the filling along the middle. You may wish to add some sauce now too. I used Levi Root’s BBQ sauce.
- Wrap into a burrito by folding both ends in. Then slice down the middle to make it more manageable to eat.
Eat that baby warm. I managed two before I was stuffed up to my eyeballs.
Variation: Don’t add the jack fruit until wrapping burrito. Make sure you give it some flavour though. 😉
Where do I get jack fruit?
You’ll often find jack fruit in Asian supermarkets and the world food isle of the bigger chain supermarkets, depending on where you live.
One thought on “Brunch Burrito”
Pingback: Brunch Burrito — Queer Vegan – xclusivx fanzine