It’s certainly Autumn here in the Welsh valleys. I’m wrapped up nice and warm with a cup of tea whilst I write this.
With the cold in mind, I came up with a delicious and hearty soup to warm your cockles.
1 tbsp of oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
1 can of chopped tomatoes (and then fill the can back up for a can of water to add too.)
1 can of sweetcorn, drained
A large handful of dry red lentils
1 tbsp of chilli flakes
1 tbsp of cumin
Salt and pepper to flavour
1 can of butterbeans, drained
A handful of fresh baby leaf spinach
A dollop of vegan mayo to cool if needed
- In a large pan, fry the onion and garlic in the oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan, with all the herbs and spices, mixing well and keeping the heat medium.
- Add the lentils and water and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Now add the sweetcorn and butterbeans, mixing throughout.
- Does it smell great yet? If not, add more herbs and spices to get it to your liking.
- Turn up the heat for the last five minutes of cooking and add the baby leaf spinach.
- Enjoy with a good dollop of creamy mayo, sour cream or your own homemade aquafaba goodness.
This dish is full of protein and will fill you up for sure.