First let me apologise for there being a two month gap in blog posts. Life at Castle Mouche has been pretty hectic! We gave up our jobs and moved to the other side of the UK and then we adopted a new dog called Darcy who is taking up a lot of our time. I have however been cooking and taking pictures. Unlike a lot of bloggers my pictures aren’t staged. They just are what I happen to be eating and I decide to take pictures. 🙂
Let’s start off on a dish that is easy to make, loaded with calcium and can even be frozen for use later in the week.
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon of dried thyme
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pint of vegetable stock
60 g pearl barley
Half a bag of curly kale
Grated vegan cheese. I used Cheezley.
Some sprouted beans for garnish. (Optional.)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions, garlic, thyme and sugar.
- Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly and then add the vegetable stock.
- Add the pearl barley to this mixture and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- In the mean time slice your ciabatta into croûton sized pieces, sprinkle with your grated vegan cheese and place under a warm grill for about 5 minutes. (Watch them carefully or else they are likely to burn.)
- Add the kale to the soup and heat for another 3 minutes before serving warm with your croutons.
It’s really that simple! Enjoy as the nights start to get colder! 🙂