Flicking through the great book that is Veganomicon, I found a recipe called Marinated Italian Tofu. I decided to make it, even though it was slightly time consuming and the results were fantastic. This was a lovely weekend dinner and for an extra treat I made some garlic bread and I had a rocket salad on the side. Mykey’s favourite food is Italian so you can imagine he was over the moon helping me cook and prepare this meal.
Pack of tofu
250ml white wine (make sure the brand you use is vegan.)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. tamari
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
A handful of fresh basil
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. thyme
Prepare marinade. Combine all ingredients.
Preheat oven to 400. Cut tofu into eight equal pieces. Marinate for an hour. Flip after 30 minutes.
Place tofu on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for 10 minutes. Place in broiler for 3 minutes. (I didn’t do this. I left the tofu in the marinade and baked for 15 minutes each side in a really hot oven.)
- A small loaf of sour dough bread sliced into four. (Mykey and I munched the end pieces he he.)
- Three garlic cloves
- Margarine (Various vegan brands available.)
- Place all ingredients except bread into a pestle and mortar and grind into a paste.
- Spread on sour dough and bake for 8 minutes.
- A pack of rocket leaves
- A handful of sun dried tomatoes chopped
- Fresh cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing (mix the two together.)
Then all you have to do is mix all ingredients together and sprinkle some nuts and seeds on top.
Low in sugar
Very high in calcium
High in phosphorus
Very high in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin B12
Very high in vitamin E
Approx nutritional values: 450 calories, 10 g fat, 38g carbohydrates and 14g protein.