Here is a quick, easy and nutritious salad recipe that can be eaten on the go.
- ¼ of a bag of Quinoa (Tesco is by far the cheapest place to purchase Quinoa at £1.69 a bag.)
- A whole yellow bell pepper.
- A whole red onion.
- A handful of pinto beans. (Pre- soaked or from a tin.)
- All-purpose Caribbean seasoning.
- If you are using pre-soaked pinto beans, you will need to cook these in water on a high heat for approximately 30 minutes first. If you are using tinned pinto beans, drain excess liquid and put to one side.
- Pour quinoa into another pan of water and cook on a high heat for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, deseed and chop the pepper and peel and chop the onion into small chunks. Place in a large bowl.
- Add cooked pinto beans (or from a tin) into the bowl a long with the cooked quinoa.
- Mix all the ingredients together and sprinkle with Caribbean seasoning for acquired taste mixing again.
I’m lazy, so I just ate it out of the big bowl I mixed it in. You can serve with a fresh, crisp salad if you’re that way inclined.